help!..I am no longer able to boot properly

hello,

when I boot linux, after it displays all the initial bootstrap process when it reaches the part
"freeing unused kernel memory: 140k freed
INIT: version 2.78 booting"
it hangs...so I press control+c to continue loading and so it does but then it tells me that there is nothing in /proc- not mounted? and also kerneld tells me that "I almost dont want to be running kerneld with >= 2.2.x kernels..but I am using 2.2.13 kernel and there was no problems before? when I am finally able to login (sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt) when I check my /proc directory..it is empty! what I was doing before this happened was that I was just tinkering and looking around in make xconfig..I think my mistake was I did not click on the quit button in xconfig but instead just clicked on the close button and then halted the machine..before I was tinkering around xconfig everything was working fine...can this be still fixed?

thank you and any help would be greatly appreciated.