Re: Network card driver

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 09:04:41PM -0600, Lane Pierce wrote:
: Nathan,
:
: By this and an earlier message, it seems that you are stating that one must
: install the potato release before installing  the tulip driver?

No, I've got several NetGear cards running under slink also.  The version of the
driver is important, though.  I run kernel 2.2.13 in slink.  Slink rescue disks
still use 2.0.38 IIRC.

: I am attempting to install my first Debian system and cannot `insmod tulip`.
: When I do, I get a message stating that the device or resource is busy.
: `dmesg` has the following info. "Unknown Tulip-style PCI Ethernet chip type
: 11ad c115 detected: not configured."
:
: I have a Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 PCI card.
:
: Does this indicate that my slink release cannot handle the card?

Practically, yes, but to be pedantic it means that the driver on the rescue
disk doesn't play well with your card.

Are you sure that the tulip driver is the correct choice?  Some DEC-chip NICs
need the de4x5 driver instead.  I have no experience with your particular
card as I avoid Linksys as a matter of principle - perhaps someone else who has
one could offer some guidance.

The potato install disks are a bit dodgy (but undergoing heavy testing!); if
you're willing to be a guinea pig you may want to give them a try.

If you have a CD you could install kernel source and recompile.  Does the
Linksys come with a driver floppy?  Bay/Nortel did package an updated tulip
driver with their Lite-On based FA310TX for a while.

Sorry I couldn't be of further assistance :/

--
Nathan Norman                    Network Magician, Eclectic Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7