Re: Network card driver

Yes & no.

Since the card is based upon the DEC DS21140, the Tulip driver included in
the kernel source is appropriate.

Netgear does distribute a driver for linux for their FA310 card. It is a
customized and possibly optimized version of the Tulip driver. The
instructions that come with it detail how to build the driver as a module
or into the kernel itself.

To install it, you must build a kernel with either static support of
module support for the Tulip driver. You would be well served to read the
Kernel HOWTO. Also, read the Debian specific kernel compilation
techniques. Make sure that you have the kernel-package and
kernel-source-<version> packages installed. Read the docs in
/usr/doc/kernel-package to learn the Debian method of building kernel
packages. You can build your kernel the way it's described in the HOWTO,
but the kernel-package distro makes it easier!

BTW, it's best to build your own kernel anyway as then you can tailor it
to your specific hardware!

Cheers,

Jason