From: Nathan E Norman <nnorman@midco.net>
To: Timothy C. Phan <tphan@iqrinc.com>
Cc: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2000 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: Network card driver

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 03:15:39PM -0600, Timothy C. Phan wrote:
: Hi Nathan,
:
:   Thank you very much.  So, all I need to do after a fresh
:   potato installation, do a modprobe tulip and that is it?
:   Would this install the drive?

... or just choose "tulip" during the "Configure Modules" section
of the install.  The driver is in section net.

:   How about configure it to a certain IP, submask, gateway,
:   DNS servers?

Reading ahead I guess you're using the Netgear as your second card
(are you using two of them?)  Simply configure each interface in
"/etc/init.d/network".  I'll attach mine from my masq box.

:   I'm plan to do IP MASQ on this potota box. What do I need
:   to do in term of rebuilding kernel, addition packages to
:   install, addition configuration to the network drive, etc.?

You must include Masq support, and Optimise as router not host
... I'll just attach my config too.  My Masq box is a 486 so adjust
for your processor as appropriate ... any questions just ask.

Please note that the attached config DOESN'T include support for
tulip cards; I recommend `make menuconfig' to fix this and other
tweaks as needed.

:   Nathan, you have been quite helpful to this user group and
:   me.  I sincerely thank you.!

Oh, I'm just trying to be as helpful as the deranged souls who
got me going on this stuff a few years ago :)  Thanks for the
kind words.

:   BTW, I tried to mirror of your midco site as suggested by
:   you last time,  I still have the timeout problem which I
:   could not figure it out.  This happened with ftp.debian.org
:   ftp.us.debian.org and a few other sites.  That was why I used
:   crosslink.net and I think these few days crosslink.net gave me
:   the same problem as other sites.

If you continue to get timeouts try tracerouting to the site you're
mirroring from ("/usr/sbin/traceroute")

:   Best regard!

Same to you!  Good luck,

--
Nathan Norman                    Network Magician, Eclectic Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7