iso8859-15 input

I would like to be able to type iso8859-15 characters in an X app, to
be more specific, I'm after the french "oe" and "OE" ligatures which
are not in the standard latin1 map. The display part of the whole
thing should be ok, I'm running xfsft as font server, some suitable
fonts are installed and can be displayed by xfd. But the input part
doesn't work.

I use xmodmap to map the two characters just like I do for "ae" and
"AE", but it doesn't work for characters specific to 8859-15. That is,
mapping the characters seems to work (as far as xmodmap is concerned),
but I still can't type them. xemacs for example complains about "oe"
being "not defined" and xev says "XLookupString gives 0 characters".

I'm don't quite understand wether this is a "XF86 only" issue or a
problem with both X and the specific app. Any clarification and all
hints appreciated.

Oh, and I'm on Slink/Potato with XF86 3.3.5.

TIA

--
Philip Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>