X/fvwm forcing me to place windows

Since switcing to potato, fvwm is behavng much differently.  Most
annoying of the changes is that for some programs (netscape), it is
requiring me to manually place the windows, a la twm.  For others, the
winows happily appear themselve (xterm, exmh).  And occasionally
(exmh), programs that usually work force me to place windows.

I supposedly have the same config files.  What is going on?

While I'm at it, I'e lost alt-click to move windows forward and
backwards.

Rick