Re: mail filtering techniques

Quoth Ethan Benson,
> I am wondering what different methods people here are using to filter
> your mail?   (ie each mailing list to its own mailbox or other such
> techniques of dealing with several high volume lists)

I'm on a couple of high-volume mailing lists, easily getting over 100
mails a day, and I too faced this problem when I evolved to linux as my
primary platform.

My strategy is that each mailing list I'm on goes into it's own mailbox
(all stored in ~/Mail).

As for tools, I use fetchmail to get my mail from the isp. Fetchmail
delivers directly to maildrop (which is a debian package), which has
rules to deliver different groups to different mailboxes. I have the
following line in my .muttrc file (which will give you an idea of the
number of lists I'm on):

Mailboxes ! =freshmeat =debian-security-announce =debian-weekly-news \
        =debian-user =profiling-l =security-focus =antionline \
	=debian-announce =funny =uni =stuff =work =damage =cep-discussion \
	=behavior_analysis-l =umpanews =criminal_profiling =happyhacker

So whenever maildrop delivers any mail to any mailbox, it lets me know.
I can also use `c <TAB> <TAB>' to get a list of all my mailboxes, with a
tag showing which ones have new mail.

All in all, I find this to be every bit as efficient as anything I have
used in windoze. Many people on this list will probably recoment
procmail or exim .forward files for forwarding. I have never used
either, as I find maildrop does everything I need, but try out a few
things to find out what works for you.

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony