Re: mail filtering techniques

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 04:52:04PM +0000, Ethan Benson wrote:
> I am wondering what different methods people here are using to filter
> your mail?   (ie each mailing list to its own mailbox or other such
> techniques of dealing with several high volume lists)
>
> I am going to be switching to mutt soon and the filtering method I
> have used on macos with Eudora probably will not work well or at all
> with mutt (i set a color 'label' on differing groups of messages say
> by list and sort by that in one monolithic in box)

I use mutt to read mail as well - I'm still amazed at just how configurable
it is.  For my MTA I use exim - it was pretty easy to get setup.  The only
thing that was a bit difficult was getting the message headers rewritten
correctly.  Also, exim has filtering capability built into it.  I looked
at using procmail, but exim's filtering seemed easier to setup.

I'm on a bunch of different lists - something like two dozen.  As a result
I average 200 to 250 emails per day.  I've got each list going into its
own box - this makes it easier to keep track of the different threads going
on in the different lists.  I find this works pretty well - I still get a
bit confused at times but nowhere *near* as confused as when it was all
going into one massive inbox.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"