Re: What happend to Netscape?

On 27 Jan, paul wrote:

| 1) Netscape is still a piece of poop.

I don't think so. If you have plenty of memory Netscape 4.7 have been
fairly stable. Java makes it crash, and the are other small oddities,
but I have been happy with it.

| 2) Libc5 version works a little better than libc6.

I tried both. I have never been able to see much difference.

| 3) Netscape 3.x does not have the problems associated with Netscape 4.x.  Use
| Netscape 3.x whenever you do not need the added functionality of Netscape 4.x.

I do not want to change browser based on sites I go to (unless I have
to).

| 4) Disable java and javascript except for when you absolutely must have it.

At least Java has to be disabled to avoid frequent freeze-ups.

| Also I would like to add that we should do whatever we can to support and help
| with projects such as amaya in order to free ourselves from the Netscape
| problems and the Netscape/aol/Time-warner corporate monster.

Well, I work for a company putting out a Linux browser soon: Opera
Software. The only problem is that we won't give it away. Personally I
am used to pay for good software on my previous platform, Windows, so
for me to pay for something I use as frequent as a web browser, or even
a good e-mail client, won't be considered a problem.