Re: What happend to Netscape?

On Thu Jan 27, Christian said:
> On 27 Jan, paul wrote:
>

> | 1) Netscape is still a piece of poop.
>
> I don't think so. If you have plenty of memory Netscape 4.7 have been
> fairly stable.

I would expect that my 128M would be enough.  Are you saying that this is not
enough? ;-)

> but I have been happy with it.

I also find it more than adequate, in spite of the occasional problem.

> At least Java has to be disabled to avoid frequent freeze-ups.

Freeze-ups also occur with Java and Java-script disabled, usually on start-up.

> Well, I work for a company putting out a Linux browser soon: Opera
> Software. The only problem is that we won't give it away. Personally I
> am used to pay for good software on my previous platform, Windows, so
> for me to pay for something I use as frequent as a web browser, or even
> a good e-mail client, won't be considered a problem.

I've heard that Opera will be quite nice. ;-) My preference for free software
is because high quality free software will encourage the commercial vendors to
create even better software.  Thus free software will cause improvements in
all sectors of the market.

I learned to use a computer on Linux first, so my experience with Window$ was
only at college.  I truly cannot comment on the quality of applications
available for Window$, except that I'm sure they were better than the OS they
ran on.

Thanks,
-ptw