Re: mail filtering techniques

Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:
> I am wondering what different methods people here are using to filter
> your mail?   (ie each mailing list to its own mailbox or other such
> techniques of dealing with several high volume lists)
>
> I am going to be switching to mutt soon and the filtering method I
> have used on macos with Eudora probably will not work well or at all
> with mutt (i set a color 'label' on differing groups of messages say
> by list and sort by that in one monolithic in box)
>
> (yes I did figure out the MTA issues, will post a summary of how to
> do that tomorrow)

I use a two-layer approach. My MTA pushes my mail through procmail. My
procmail filter is setup to put it in one of three places, a box for
Mailing lists mail, a box for mail addressed directly to me, and
everything else to another box (mostly spam).

I use gnus for email reading and it has it's own filtering capability
which I use to sort mail to specific groups using an nnml backend.

It sounds compilicated, and I suppose it would be if I had to start
from scratch, but this is just the method that's sortf of built up
over many years, and it gives very tight control over my email and a
lot of flexibility.

Gary