Re: kernel panics - sometimes

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 10:55:22PM -0600, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> 1) Upgrade from hamm to potato (you might need to go to slink first).  The
>    bug fixes along are worth it.

Could I use apt to do this? Is there somewhere a howto for doing this?

> 2) Use a newer kernel.  2.2.9 is about 6 months old by now.  There have
>    been quite a few bugs fixed since then.  If you get these crashes with
>    the latest in the 2.2 line (2.2.14 at this writing) then you need to
>    report it as a bug.

I tried to compile 2.2.14 but it failed with many error messages in
console.c. Isn't it possible to run hamm with newer kernels. Last time
I read on this list Debian is kernel independent (someone asked why his
potato uses a 2.0.39 kernel).

> These reports also need to carry more information.  All you have are the
> instructions that caused the fault - they don't mean anything unless it's
> known how the kernel got to where it crashed.

Yes, but before these last messages the screen was filled with addresses
(all the same, not register addresses). And I couldn't find any hint in
the log files (except the ^@ characters in syslog).

Are there maybe any useful tools to watch the system more closely in order
to have more information after a crash?

--Werner