kernel panics - sometimes

My system crashes from time to time but I cannot reproduce the crashes.
It may run 2 month without any problems and suddenly a daily cronjob or a
simple shell command seems to cause the crash. Here is what I could write
today from the system console:

  Code: 39 73 70 75 22 c7 43 4c 11 000000 a1 3c 1a 1c c0 89 43 70

  Aiee, killing Interrupt handler

  Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!

  In interrupt handler not syncing

It seems like a hardware problem, but I have no idea what is the
cause of this and how it could be fixed. Before the panic nothing appears
in the log files except long lines full of ^@^@^@ ...

I would appreciate any help. If I cannot fix this ugly problem I have to
reinstall from scratch. I don't know another solution now.

That's my hardware. Asus ATX Board, Pentium II 350 MHZ, 128 MB RAM, Adaptec
UW SCSI Controller, UW IBM HD

My software: Debian Hamm using a 2.2.09 kernel

--Werner