Re: Debian equivalent of RH's rc.local?

In article <cistron.20000125191924.A6435@calico>,
Eric G . Miller <egm2@jps.net> wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 01:57:13PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>> In article <cistron.20000122112055.A523@calico>,
>> Eric G . Miller <egm2@jps.net> wrote:
>> >Put your one-time script links in /etc/rcS.d and the actual scripts in
>> >/etc/init.d.
>>
>> DO NOT do this. /etc/rcS.d scripts are executed at bootup before any
>> other service is running.
>
>If I remember correctly, the person was asking about boot time scripts
>to set something or other (a one time job).

Okay, that is fine

> Why is that wrong? (We're
>not talking about starting daemons here). If I remember correctly, the
>poster was asking about rc.boot (which doesn't exist on Debian).

It does, but only for backwards compatibility. I think we should take
it out in woody

>> >There are
>> >READMEs in /etc/rcS.d and /etc/init.d.
>>
>> That's good advice, now follow it ;)
>
>I don't see anything in the READMEs that says this is B.A.D. You just
>have to be careful about the sequence number. And you can check your
>attitude at the door.

Lighten up. There was a smiley there, and please remember that
a lot of people on this list don't have english as their first $LANG

Mike.
Reply to the list or to miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)