Re: Debian equivalent of RH's rc.local?

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 01:57:13PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <cistron.20000122112055.A523@calico>,
> Eric G . Miller <egm2@jps.net> wrote:
> >Put your one-time script links in /etc/rcS.d and the actual scripts in
> >/etc/init.d.
>
> DO NOT do this. /etc/rcS.d scripts are executed at bootup before any
> other service is running.

If I remember correctly, the person was asking about boot time scripts
to set something or other (a one time job). Why is that wrong? (We're
not talking about starting daemons here). If I remember correctly, the
poster was asking about rc.boot (which doesn't exist on Debian).

> >These scripts are executed at every runlevel.
>
> No, /etc/rcS.d scripts are definitely not executed every runlevel.

Miswrote. Should've said regardless of runlevel.

> >There are
> >READMEs in /etc/rcS.d and /etc/init.d.
>
> That's good advice, now follow it ;)

I don't see anything in the READMEs that says this is B.A.D. You just
have to be careful about the sequence number. And you can check your
attitude at the door.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |