is 'smail' sleeping ?

In the last days I disturbed you all about exim, because I wasn't able
to send e-mail.
A lot of you helped me and I wish to thank you all for the attention.
But exim didn't work anyway on my system.

I SOLVED my problem using 'smail' than 'exim' and BINGO !!!

When I tried to use exim, fetchmail showed me some error messages like :
"error 550, I can't deliver mail for the following addresses:...").
Now using 'smail', fetchmail works fine too, though my $HOME/.fetchmailrc
is the same
of when I tried to use exim...?!!?

Ok. Now I have got another little problem with 'smail':

I have got Debian 2.1 (slink) on a PC (Pentium), and my MUA (mail user
agent) is 'mutt'.

Does 'smail' put outgoing e-mails in /var/spool/smail/input ?
I think that is true, and I think when 'smail complete the delivering, it
removes
files from the folder above.

Well. When I send e-mail on-line (connected to internet), 'smail' often
SEEMS
sleeping and it takes al lot of time for removing files in
/var/spool/smail/input,
and then (I think) it takes a lot of times to deliver them too.
Is that true ?

How can I get 'smail' working faster ?

Thank you.