Re: downloading

Gavin Schuette wrote:

> I want to download the debian operating system for a pentium processor,
> what should I do?
> I have tried the ftp site from my netscape browser and cliked on slink
> and it downloads a list of files only?
> Where is the link I clik to download the operating system itself?
> I would love to put it on my home computer.

There are several ways of doing this. If you're going to keep a DOS/Windows partition
on this box, there's five or six files you can download to that partition which you
can use to install a minimal (and I mean "minimal") base system.  If you're not going
to keep a DOS/Win partition, you need to download about 7 diskette images and make
floppies out of them (using rawrite2.exe, available on your download site near the
floppy images, to create them from DOS). Once you've got the base system installed,
you can get your network going and download the rest quite easily (but perhaps
slowly, depending on the type of connection you have.

You can read about both of these methods at
http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install, particularly section 5.3 and 5.6.