Re: installing debian linux from cdrom

> Subject: installing debian linux from cdrom
> Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:54:14 PST
> From: "Nam-Anh Pham" <na_pham@hotmail.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> I recently got a debian linux cd (Slink release, version 2.1).  I tried to
> install it on my old 486, but it would not recognize the cdrom.  Do you have
> any advice?  My pc is an old 486 clone built in 93.  It has a Mitsumi 2x
> cdrom.  I thought it was ATAPI compliant, but am not sure.  The cdrom works
> fine under DOS, so at least I know it is not a defective cdrom.  If you have
> any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> I saw and tried the following command line posted on the debian site's
> faqomatic, but it did not work either.
>
>   loadlin linux -n 5 boot=/dev/ram hdc=cdrom cdrom=debug,none
> scsi=debug,none initrd=boot.bin
>
> Thanks in advance!  :) :)
>
> Nam-Anh

I currently have a GW2K-486 running RH 5.0 with an older Mitsumi 2x cd.
This drive uses a proprietary bus and to load this driver I type
mcd=0x340,10 with the 0x340 (just like this) being the port and the 10
for the IRQ.

At lilo try "mount mcd=0x340,10" or add it to your /etc/conf.modules
"options mcd=..." then mount with /dev/mcd to your mount point.

Bill