Pathetic Performance

I'm running Corel/Debian v1.0 on a AMD 486-100. 24mb ram, >1G hd,
networked with three other PCs. This workstation is 5X slower then a
486-33 running RH 5.0 acting as a gateway, Samba server, mail, etc. I
welcome any suggestions towards finding what must be a gross
misconfiguration.

On the 486-100 every service not needed has been pulled from bootup,
Apache, Qmail, etc. Using windowmanager with Netscape 4.7 is painful and
literally 5 times slower in creating a new browser window or displaying
a new page the the 486-33.

I will begin by rebuilding the kernel with i486 optimization but I find
it hard to believe that Pentium optimization could slow it down this
much. Again any other ideas?

Bill