installing debian linux from cdrom

I recently got a debian linux cd (Slink release, version 2.1). I tried to install it on my old 486, but it would not recognize the cdrom. Do you have any advice? My pc is an old 486 clone built in 93. It has a Mitsumi 2x cdrom. I thought it was ATAPI compliant, but am not sure. The cdrom works fine under DOS, so at least I know it is not a defective cdrom. If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I saw and tried the following command line posted on the debian site's faqomatic, but it did not work either.

loadlin linux -n 5 boot=/dev/ram hdc=cdrom cdrom=debug,none scsi=debug,none initrd=boot.bin

Thanks in advance!  :) :)

Nam-Anh