Re: Please tell me this is curable...

try using the command:

file <filename>

to determine what kind of file it is..

it may be curropted..

nate

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Patrick wrote:

patric >Over the weekend, I took my trusty server which had multiple partitions and swap files for RH, SuSE, NT and Debian and turned the whole thing over to Debian.
patric >
patric >Naturally, I backed up 4 Gigs of data first using tar czvf.  Did a few tests and all seemed to work as tar xzvf recreated the files.
patric >
patric >Now its not working as when I ftp the data in from NT, I get this:
patric >
patric >atrick@enterprise:~$ tar xzvf datstore
patric >tar: This does not look like a tar archive
patric >tar: Skipping to next header
patric >
patric >gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
patric >tar: Child returned status 1
patric >tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
patric >patrick@enterprise:~$
patric >
patric >
patric >There's several thousand important files at stake here...can anyone tell me how to recover them?
patric >
patric >Please...
patric >
patric >Patrick