Re: Please tell me this is curable...

Patrick <patrick@kirks.net> writes:
> Over the weekend, I took my trusty server which had multiple
> partitions and swap files for RH, SuSE, NT and Debian and turned the
> whole thing over to Debian.
>
> Naturally, I backed up 4 Gigs of data first using tar czvf.  Did a
> few tests and all seemed to work as tar xzvf recreated the files.
>
> Now its not working as when I ftp the data in from NT, I get this:
>
> atrick@enterprise:~$ tar xzvf datstore
> tar: This does not look like a tar archive
> tar: Skipping to next header
>
> gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
> tar: Child returned status 1
> patrick@enterprise:~$
>

> There's several thousand important files at stake here...can anyone
> tell me how to recover them?
>
> Please...

How are you transferring the file from NT to Linux? If you're pushing
it from NT to linux via ftp you might not be in binary mode and a
translation is being done to change CR/LF pairs to CR, as expected on
Unix systems. Make sure you're using binary mode, as in:

NT$ ftp debianbox
login: myname
password: mypass
ftp> bin
200 Type set to I.
ftp> put datstor
<blah,blah,blah>

This also hold true if you're using some types of serial-to-serial
transfer method. Whatever method you're using make sure it's a
binary-mode transfer.

Of course if you didn't transfer it to the NT box in binary mode in
the first place you might be in trouble.

Gary