Please tell me this is curable...

Over the weekend, I took my trusty server which had multiple partitions and swap files for RH, SuSE, NT and Debian and turned the whole thing over to Debian.

Naturally, I backed up 4 Gigs of data first using tar czvf.  Did a few tests and all seemed to work as tar xzvf recreated the files.

Now its not working as when I ftp the data in from NT, I get this:

atrick@enterprise:~$ tar xzvf datstore
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
tar: Child returned status 1
patrick@enterprise:~$

There's several thousand important files at stake here...can anyone tell me how to recover them?

Please...

Patrick