Re: S3 Trio3D

erasmo perez <infodeb@uxmal.fb10.tu-berlin.de> writes:
EP> more or less one week ago, i see in this lists the report of a S3
EP> Trio3D video card that refuses to work in SVGA, just accepting VGA
EP>
EP> and now i face the same problem, is there some way to overcome this
EP> failure ?

I've had some luck using the XF86_SVGA server from XFree86 3.3.4, and
specifically using the binary from the tarball from xfree86.org.  I
have had no luck using any of the Debian-packaged X servers, nor with
any more recent X server.

The only thing is, this server seems to have about a 50% chance of
failure on restart, where "failure" means "takes down entire system
with it".  So now I'm using the XF86_FBDev server, which is actually
giving more or less equivalent performance at the cost of a much worse
refresh rate (43 Hz interlaced vs. 60Hz noninterlaced).  You might try
reading the kernel documentation for 2.2.* kernels or look at the
Framebuffer-HOWTO.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell