Re: weird ppp output

> Robert Marlow wrote:
> > I've been getting weird protocol junk on my ppp logs:
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > this fills my log files in a rediculous manner and lags all internet
> > traffic, eventually causing the ppp connection to be killed. has anyone seen
> > this before and can tell me what the problem is? the ppp connection is
> > between Debian Linux and Microsoft NT.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > da Bobstopper
> > (Robert Marlow)
>
> Look in /etc/ppp/options.  If the debug option is enabled, you see all
> the packets, according to the blurb.  You can safely comment out this
> line.  It's around line 150.
>
> It also mentions that there is extra debugging available as a compile
> time option, but this shouldn't apply if you're using the stock debian
> version.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Paul

This isn't my problem exactly. I've recently checked the snip that I
actually sent and it turns out it's not a good example of what's actually
happening. That debugging stuff fills several screenfuls in less than a second.
generally a session of screen filling debug output will end in something like
rcvd protreject and stuff like that. i've seen the protreject elsewhere and it
hasn't seemed to be a problem before (all though i would like to know what it
is) but i've never gotten this much junk come up on my logs before. it seems
to be creating excessive traffic that lags the connection and eventually kills
it. i've ceased all user traffic that i'm aware of to check if it still
continues and it does. another interesting thing is it seems to kill the
connection after about 4 hours. this is a ppp connection which i've proven to be
permanent and shouldn't be killed by the isp. it's set to dial on demand (using
the demand option for pppd) but without the idle option specified.

is that seemingly excessive junk what's causing the connections to die as i
suspect or is it something else i may be overlooking?

thanks

from

da Bobstopper