Re: unexpected end of file

Ethan you were partially correct in your reply.

When I comment out the if structure that tests for the
existence of .bashrc, and 'sources' it if it does exist,
there are no problems. That is, I can source the file
without any problems.

However the problem seems still to be elsewhere.

When I uncomment the if structure I am able to run the file as
an argument to bash, i.e "bash .profile" or, after changing
the files permissions, as a shell programme "./.profile".
This suggest (to me at least) that the problem is not one
of syntax.

It looks like something is broken.

I have tried creating and then sourcing simple shell scripts
and they suffer from the same problem.

Do you or anyone else have any sugestions?

TIA and thanks for your previous reply.