Re: unexpected end of file

I do not have mc installed. I used the -x switch on the f
ile ("od -x .profile", this also allows files to be viewed
in hex).

I didn't see anything suspicious. Does anyone have any
other ideas?

If I was to install midnight commander what instruction
would I have to give to view files in hex?

The problem is worse than I at first realised, since this
files contains $PATH for root and it's not being loaded. I
suppose there are ways around this problem, but it would
be nice to find out why the problem arose in the first
place or at least how to fix it.