Re: Xwindow help needed

Yay! I have X again.

Ok for those also having similar trouble (Hi Steve :) I'm going to try and
set down what I did in the hopes that this will help till Vincent can get
back to someone :) (_anyone_ :)

I had gone into /var/cache/apt/packages and dpkg -i'd everything
xfree86'ish that I had 3.3.5 packages for

Unfortunately I didn't have packages for the fonts.

So this morning I did an apt-get remove xf86setup (because it was broken
without the fonts)

Then I did an apt-get upgrade, it upgraded all the x things that I had
installed at 3.3.5 but held back on xserver-common (so now I have
everything 3.3.6 except that which is still installed at 3.3.5)

(oh and I did have to go into /usr/lib/menu/xbase-clients and put some \'s
in after each hints="Clocks" line and rerun update-menus during the
install of xbase-clients)

But I was still missing my fonts so I did an apt-get -d install of each of
the font packages (because each one threatened to yank both my
xserver-common and my xserver-i128 if I did just a plain install) and then
did a dpkg -i on each font package from within /var/cache/apt/archives

Now, the reason I'm sharing this with the whole list is that I'm a
relative Debian newbie and I'm sure this was a fairly messy way to go
about doing all this. If anyone can think of any ways that it would have
been easier to do all this or things that I might have to watch out for
(besides having to hit 'R' and 'Q' in dselect a lot till the conflicts get
worked out a bit more) because of how I did this, please speak up, I'd
love to learn :)

(and let's face it, in just about any linux isn't it true that the best
way to learn is the ' *poke*, kewl :) *poke*, kewl :) *poke*, ... oops?'
method? :)

-Alice