Xwindow help needed

Xwindows still doesn't work. It won't install, and
startx no longer exists. Somehow, I have Xfree86 3.3.6
instead of 3.3.5.
I had to reinstall debian after win98 on the same disk
crashed. Anyway, I reinstalled Debian (slink), did
apt-get update and ended up with Xfree86 3.3.6 to my
surprise. When i tried to install and configure, I got
numerous error messages. Among these are:
"Cannot remove lockfile /var/run/update-menus.pid"
"Errors encountered while processing xterm
  dpkg --configure returned error
  exit status 1"
I have also gotten numerous error messages saying
"exit status 100."
 It did install correctly once, but I got only a gray
screen that I shut down after a minute per instructions
in the Oreilly debian book.
Help, help, steve w