Re: apt, dpkg, dselect, and deity?

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Chris R. Martin wrote:

> Forgive me, I've been out of the Debian world for a while. I'm having
> trouble figuring out the relationship between apt, dpkg, dselect, and
> "deity" (which seems to be something in development). I know what dselect

deity is APT's development code name, and just they are the same :> Deity
is also the codename for the APT Native GUI that never got finished.
Currently APT proper superceeds all execisting dselect methods and
integrates them all under a common interface and lets you mix and match
them freely.

APT proper can also interface with dselect as a normal dselect method
would, it has 5 native front ends (apt-get, Corel Get It, GnomeAPT,
Console APT and Aptitute)

APT still uses dpkg for the package installation..

Jason