apt, dpkg, dselect, and deity?

Forgive me, I've been out of the Debian world for a while. I'm having trouble figuring out the relationship between apt, dpkg, dselect, and "deity" (which seems to be something in development). I know what dselect and dpkg are; dselect acts as a frontend (or used to) for dpkg. How does apt and deity fit into that picture? Are they replacements? It seems like dselect uses something called "apt-get" now for ftp and such, but why is there a dpkg-ftp package?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
Chris