Re: IP without host

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Dave Wiard wrote:

> is there any way i can set up my machine to use IP but NOT go looking for
> a host, anywhere?  i have 2 machines completely isolated and i'd like to
> let them talk (ipx would be fine also, but i can't seem to get that
> compiled in correctly).  i've got an AMD (nt, right now) and an sx164.
> the sx uses the tulip driver for the NIC and it works great with IP.  i
> tried to compile IPX and the tulip.c fails to compile.  any help getting
> this to work would be great. TIA
>
> --
> dave wiard
> dave@acm.wwu.edu

Not sure what you want to do here. It sounds like you want to set up an
isolated (from the Internet or your intranet) Ethernet LAN with two hosts
(computers) on it. This is very easy to do with IP. My personal opinion
would be to forget about IPX. I don't consider this a "native" (whatever I
mean by that) networking protocol for Linux, but I'm sure some would
disagree. I also don't understand the "IP without host" bit, but I'll
ignore that.

If my assumption is correct, connect your machines together via an
Ethernet LAN. 10Base2, 10BaseT, whatever. Configure each machine to have a
unique network address. This is usually done on a Debian machine in
/etc/init.d/network. I would use one of the "reserved" IP networks such as
192.168.0.0. For example, make one machine 192.168.1.1 and the other
192.168.1.2 and set the network netmask to 255.255.255.0. Enter each
host/IP address in /etc/hosts for both machines and voila, you have a
private, isolated IP network and these machines should be able to
communicate with all network applications (that they have installed) all
day long with very good performance.

Hope this helps...