Re: My Debian Blues

nate@firetrail.com (aphro) wrote:

> mixing slink and potato is probably a bad idea.

Whoops. Well, I intended an upgrade, looks like I should use another
method. I had installed potato in the first place, but I just don't
know how to do this. There seem to be only CD images for slink.

> if you want slink, use slink and upgrade your X by adding the
> following line in /etc/apt/soruces.list :
>
> deb http://www.debian.org/~vincent/ xfree-update main
>
> then run apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade

Uh-oh. I did not configure my network yet, I'm not even sure whether
my Fritz! ISDN card will work with slink... I heard that I might need
some newer stuff for some Fritz! cards. I'll have to read (and get)
the ISDN HOW-TO first. BTW, why do I have to get it, why aren't the
HOW-TO's installed as default? They are not contained on my two Debian
CDs. I already downloaded a set with all HOW-TO's, but still there was
no ISDN HOW-TO there.

I also do not have man pages for apt-get... apt-get, however, is
installed.

> matrox g400 works fine with the update i got several slink machines
> with g400s in em.

I'm happy to hear this :)

> at this point i would reccomend wiping out the system and installing
> slink.

I will do this.

Many thanks, Nate, I guess this will help me a lot. If the ISDN stuff
doesn't work, I will use the modem from my other PC instead.

        Alex
--
  Alex Schuster     Wonko@weird.cologne.de          PGP Key available
                    alex@pet.mpin-koeln.mpg.de