My Debian Blues

Hi there!

I have installed Debian on my new PC, but I just cannot get it to run
properly.

I got the CD images for the stable Debian from the net and created two
bootable CDs which I used to install. This basic installation worked
fine. But I could not set up the Xserver because my Matrox G400 video
card is too new. Okay, I got the Xserver-SVGA from the potato
directory and tried to install it. Which didn't work, because I also
need Xserver-Common and a new libc6. I got those, but I still needed a
libz1. Which I didn't find anywhere, but it seems the zlib was meant
here. Anyway, the next problem was a too old ldso, so I got it, too.
Now dselect complained that it needs a newer apt.

Oh, well. What else would I need? I decided to get the complete potato
distribution. So ftp'ed all binaries (except for the devel directory,
which is another 420 MB) and burnt the stuff onto five CDs. Then I
copied them to my hard disk and let dselect check it out. Well, it
still wanted the new apt, I wonder why it complains here because I
wanted to install all the new stuff, including apt. I installed it
manually via dpkg --install, along with some other libraries. Still
dselect didn't work. I also tried to use apt als source for dselect
(instead of a mounted file system), but only got a huge list of
missing packages. For example, I need libpgperl_6.5.3-7, but I have
libpgperl_6.5.3-8. Why is it a problem to have a newer version??

I just don't know what's wrong with my system. Maybe I messed things
up while playing with dselect, so I might try to reinstall Debian,
using only the necessary packages, not everything.

Thanks for reading,

        Alex
--
  Alex Schuster     Wonko@weird.cologne.de          PGP Key available