APT with partial set of files

I have downloaded a bunch of the .deb's for potato, preserving the
directory structure.
I also got the Packages files

I assumed when I did this that apt would not care if some .deb files were
missing, and would simply look at other sources for them.  Is that correct?

I also assumed that with CD's it would prompt for inserting additional
CD's.  Is that correct?  Or do I need packages files which indicate which
CD has which files?  Is there a good way to generate those?

I have read "Using APT Offline," sources.list(5), apt-get(8), apt-cache(8),
at.conf(5) (at least the ones for current stable release, not potato).  I
can not tell what the answers to these questions are from those docs.  "APT
Offline" recommends  a different procedure than I have done so far, and
seems to assuming a working system--which is what I am trying to build.

I appreciate any help.