Re: APT with partial set of files

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 02:42:46PM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote
> I have downloaded a bunch of the .deb's for potato, preserving the
> directory structure.
> I also got the Packages files
>
> I assumed when I did this that apt would not care if some .deb files were
> missing, and would simply look at other sources for them.  Is that correct?

Unless it wants to install them, it shouldn't matter if they are in the
Packages file but not in the archive.

> I also assumed that with CD's it would prompt for inserting additional
> CD's.  Is that correct?  Or do I need packages files which indicate which
> CD has which files?  Is there a good way to generate those?

If you have a CD containing (some portion of) the Debian archive, then
 # apt-cdrom add
will look for and use the Packages files on a CD to determine what
packages are available on it.  Run it once for each CD.  There's nothing
magical about CD packages files, but using apt-cdrom alerts apt to do
things like check that the correct CD is mounted and prompt for the
required CD if not.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au