Re: tex/latex: I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

"Gary Hennigan" <glhenni@sandia.gov> writes:
> hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu writes:
[snip]
> Well, I can't help with how to generate it but on my potato system:
>
> % locate latex.fmt
> /var/lib/texmf/web2c/latex.fmt
>
> It is not associated with a package, ie., dpkg -S latex.fmt doesn't
> show a package, so it must be generated by a post install script.

I just checked the debian mailing list archive. This should've been
the first place I looked, and more importantly, the first place you
should have looked. This is a known problem and there's a fix in
proposed-updates for it.

You can see the relevant post via:

http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-9912/msg02663.html

You can get apt to automatically look there by adding the following
line to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/

although you may just want to download the relevant tetex *.deb files
yourself and install them via dpkg -i.

Gary