Re: tex/latex: I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

Maybe this will help...

$ locate latex.fmt
/var/lib/texmf/web2c/latex.fmt
/var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdflatex.fmt
$ dpkg -S latex.fmt
dpkg: *latex.fmt* not found
$ grep latex.fmt /var/lib/dpkg/status

$ grep latex.fmt /var/lib/dpkg/info/*
/var/lib/dpkg/info/tetex-base.postrm:   rm -rf ... /var/lib/texmf/web2c/latex.fmt ...

If running (as root) "/var/lib/dpkg/info/tetex-base.postint" doesn't
create the file, try running "texhash".

- Bruce