Re: tex/latex: I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu wrote:

>I don't think I've ever seen this before.  Having replaced the dying
>hard disk, I've done a clean install of slink.  The ability to use
>latex seems to come and go (mostly go), and I've given the tetex files
>a purge/reinstall cycle, but still no luck.
>I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!
>
>I've used find on a working machine, and this file doesn't seem to
>exist anyway.

It's supposed to be in "/var/lib/texmf/web2c/". Does `kpsewhich
latex.fmt` fail as well?

>I assume that this is something very simple, but I'm stumped.

I'm afraid that's too trivial, but anyway: did you update the ls-R
databases? If it still doesn't work, take a look at
/etc/texmf/texmf.cnf and check if $TEXMFMAIN and $TEXMF are set
correctly. $TEXMF should be something like "TEXMF =
{!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFLOCAL;!!$HOMETEXMF}".

--
Philip Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>