Re: How to install over www

Kenneth Scharf <scharkalvin@yahoo.com> writes:

> Am I correct that I will have to install (enough of)
> the base system via floppies before I will be able to
> use apt/deselct to install the rest of the system?  I

Yes, basically. You will need to at least have the rescue, root, and
the three drivers floppies. The base system you can put somewhere on
the harddrive (can installation system mount msdos partitions? I had
the base_2_2.tgz (?) in an ext2fs partition). Ideally, you must be
able to even read the drivers floppies' images from the harddrive, but
it didn't work for me (I tried 10 different ways of specifying path to
them... I don't know where exactly the installation proggie wants to
find those images. I gave up and installed the drivers off floppies).

I just did a similar setup. After you set the base system up, you can
boot into it and use apt/dselect to install the rest via ftp/http.
I ended up using 5 floppies altogether.

--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who