Re: How to install over www

The thing here is that I am starting with 3 totaly
blank hd's.  I really don't want to put an msdos
partition on any of them, I'd like to do this install
without using ANY M$ software in the process.  I
already downloaded all ten base disks, the rescue
disk, the driver disks, and the root disk. The
download was done on another linux system (slink).
Except for the fact that the company firewall is
probably running NT, the setup non - M$.  So I guess I
will need to run through all 10 base disks to perform
the install.  I suppose I could also burn a CDR with
ONLY the base system on it (never mind the fact that
the only CD burners in the company are on Windows
machines).

I wonder just how small a system needs to be installed
to get to the point where the rest can be bootsrapped
in over the web? (Hmmm the LRP fits on a floppy....)

>Yes, basically. You will need to at least have the
>rescue, root, and
>the three drivers floppies. The base system you can
>put somewhere on
>the harddrive (can installation system mount msdos
>partitions? I had
>the base_2_2.tgz (?) in an ext2fs partition).
Ideally, >you must be
>able to even read the drivers floppies' images from
>the harddrive, but
>it didn't work for me (I tried 10 different ways of
>specifying path to
>them... I don't know where exactly the installation
>proggie wants to
>find those images. I gave up and installed the
drivers >off floppies).

I just did a similar setup. After you set the base
system up, you can
boot into it and use apt/dselect to install the rest
via ftp/http.
I ended up using 5 floppies altogether.

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!