Poor networking performance

My li'l home LAN consists of two boxes, connected via a 100base
network. I have a D-link DFE-530TX (via-rhine driver) in my
workstation, and an Rtl-8139-based card in my server/nat box.
My server box runs FreeBSD, and my workstation runs Debian Linux.

I have never been satisfied with my networking performance... The
fastest I could ftp large files from the server into workstation is
1.5MBps, and a little faster in the other direction.

Recenlty I've bought a new harddrive for the workstation, a fast one
(7200rpm, with 2MB cache), and decided to first install FreeBSD onto
it (to give it a try on a workstation). Believe it or not, I started
getting 5.5Mbytes transfers both ways right out of the box. I don't
mean to start BSD vs. Linux discussions, but just want to find out
*why* my box performs worse under Linux than under FreeBSD...

Then I installed potato instead of that FreeBSD installation (i.e.,
the same harddrive, same hardware all the way). The transfer rates are
pretty dull again. :^(

Any thoughts?

Some specs of my hardware:

,----[ Workstation ]