Re: Poor networking performance

A lot is going to depend on kernel version and networking options.
Debian's default kernel config is not designed for optimum network
performance. It is designed for maximum flexibility and security. There
are some tradeoffs.

Try building a new kernel turning off every network feature you do not
need. If on that workstation you do not need firewalling, IP accounting,
masquerading, etc ... turn them off. You might also do some things like
turning off math emulation in the kernel, configuring it for the CPU you
are using (default Debian is built for 386, with Celeron you build for
PPro/PII), compile the network card driver into the kernel instead of as a
module.