Improvements in alsa sound quality?

I installed the alsa modules that came with the current stable
slink cd (alsa 2.0 pre 8 + 8.3 diff patch). I see that there have
been many versions since 2.0 alsa. What I wonder is, is there really
any reason to upgrade, especially in regards to the audiopci and awe32/64
modules? Have these new versions included improvements in _sound
quality/fidelity_? And is there any reason to upgrade to the potato
kernel so the most recent alsa modules can be used?

                                                           Thanks
                                                      Christopher Mosley