Re: debhelper, potato sources on slink

Jens Günther wrote:
> I think it would be prudent not to use unstable development utilities
> in producing the next stable release, because it prevents users from
> building selected packages locally, although they might work well enough in
> their mostly stable environment. What problems might arise for the
> development process I do not dare to guess.
>
> Therefore I suggest to either bring debhelper and packages it depends on to
> a state in which they can be used in a slink environment (maybe putting
> these packages in proposed-updates) or to prevent them from being used on
> slink and encourage package maintainers to keep *source* packages in a
> stable state. A change of source packages to the potato debhelper could be
> part of a potato re-release.
>
> If you would like to recieve a formal bug report, just tell me.

This is nice retoric, but this changelog entry completly overrides it:

  * dh_fixperms: if called with -X, was attempting to change permissions of
    even symlinks. This could have even caused it to follow the symlinks and
    modify files on the build system in some cases. Ignores them now. (#35102)

If I don't use --no-derefernece, *bad* things can happen to your system
when you build a package. I have no choice.

--
see shy jo