Re: 2 questions on apt-get

*- On  2 Jan, Oliver Elphick wrote about "Re: 2 questions on apt-get "
> Ulrich Hansmair wrote:
>   >2.apt-get upgrade gives the following message:
>   >
>   >...
>   >The following packages have been kept back:
>   >dpkg-dev kernel-package perl perl-base
>   >...
>   >
>   >I wanna this packages be included in the normal upgrade-procedure. What is t
>       >he
>   >appropriate action?
>
> They are kept back because of dependencies on some other packages; these
> dependencies cannot be satisfied if they are upgraded.
>
> You must either remove packages that are causing the problem, or wait for
> new versions of the problem packages to become available, or (if you
> know what you are doing) force the installation of the packages you
> want upgraded.

Read the apt-get man page.  You probably want to run 'apt-get
dist-upgrade' and not 'apt-get upgrade'.  The upgrade option will not
remove or change other packages status(i.e. packages will be held back).
Or start dselect, select [U]pdate, select [S]elect, hit space, hit
return(probably a few times as it sorts out depenencies/conflicts),
select [I]nstall.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.