Re: Same dates between Debian and Windows

Bart writes:
> I have Debian and Windows installed on the system and for the life of me
> I can't seem to be able to get their dates to match up.

You probably told the install that your hardware clock was set to UTC (GMT)
when you installed.  Windows requires that it be set to local time.  Edit
/etc/default/rcS and change the UTC line.  I think that in 2.1 it reads
GMT="u" for UTC and GMT="" for local time.

This should let you set the hardware clock to local time and keep Windows
happy.

> This problem is especially annoying because of the time it consumes just
> with me rebooting between the two OSes to see if their dates are finally
> in sync.

Windows doesn't have its own clock.  It just uses the hardware clock.
Under Linux the command 'hwclock' as root will show you the hardware clock,
while 'date' will show you what time Linux thinks it is.  Make sure that
you have your time zone set properly.  Use 'tzconfig' to set it.

--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)