Re: Backing up just my personal stuff (was: backing up a complete Debian GNU/Linux system)

Here's my take on it:

As root,

dpkg --get-selections > /root/dpkg.selections
cp -a /usr/src/linux/kernel-image*.deb /root/

Then backup

/root
/boot
/etc
/var
/home
/usr/local
[/usr/lib/cgi-bin]

To restore:

install the base system
copy dpkg.selections from the backup media to /root/
dpkg --set-selections < /root/dpkg.selections
dselect (SKIP the "Select" step)
restore what you've backed up
dpkg -i /root/kernel_image*.deb
lilo
reboot

and you should be there.

FWIW, I've actually done this once under pressure with mostly success. I
left out /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ and had to track down a bunch of scripts.

YMMV.

Cheers,
 Pann
--
What's All the Buzz About Linux?                    L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\