Re: Backing up just my personal stuff (was: backing up a complete Debian GNU/Linux system)

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 02:24:12AM -0000, Wim Kerkhoff wrote:
> >     /usr/local is about 760Mb  (723Mb of that is a partial mirror
> >                                of Debian)
>
> I presume you mean that these are potato packages you have downloaded since an
> initial install of slink.

Actually, I run potato, and keep a partial mirror of
main/binary-i386 (by partial, I mean I exclude certain large files
that I don't have any use for - I don't have room for the whole
thing).  I update it nightly using rsync.

> What would the best & easiest way of making such a partial mirror or all
> packages in potato that are different from slink?  With such a mirror, I could
> install what I want using my official slink CD set, then update to my current
> state with the partial mirror.  This would be really, really handy in case my
> system buggers up (or I bugger it up).

I'd recommend taking a look at the rsync packages.  It's fairly
easy to set up, and does everything I need.  I like it much better
than mirror.

> When apt-get downloads packages, it puts them in /var/archive/apt/cache

I wrote a script to move the packages from apt into the correct
directories of my mirror.  I can send it to you if you want, but I
do not guarantee it to work.

Mike

[Private mail welcome, but no need to CC: me on list replies.]

--
Michael Merten
          ---> E-Mail: mikemerten@yahoo.com