X on Slink with RIVA TNT (Diamond V550)

I am trying to get X up and running on slink with a Riva TNT display
adapter, but I am not having much luck.  I know that the nVidia Xserver
requires the unstable release of XFree86, but I'm new at this and I want
to stay away from anything 'unstable'.  I am able to get X running with
the standard VGA server, but at 640x480, 16 colors.. what's the point?
:-(

Can anyone suggest a configuration that will give me a minimum of 1024x768
and 8bpp with slink?

Muchos gracias...

Sean Fulmer
seanmeister1@yahoo.com